I'm going to try and catalog the most recent postings of various literature articles that the
This journal is HORRIBLY out of date! So sorry!
I don't have a great place to remind you all that the wonderful HugQueen keeps a list of literature contests for us all, but you should all check it out anyway! (Last updated: 8 March.)
New to deviantART? Don't panic.
There are any number of resources available to you, I'm only going to mention a couple of them or I'd fill up the entire journal.
- Expose-Lit: Your Literature Lifeline - a roundup of resources for the new writers on dA, including the Welcome Wagon, helpful links, chatrooms, forums, literature groups, competitions, and more. (Please note: the list of Community Volunteers is out of date, as this was posted back in 2012. For the CVs, check out CRLiterature or scroll down to the next section!)
- Breaking into Lit! - some basic steps to get you involved in the community. (Again, this is from 2012, so there are a couple broken links, but on the whole this is very useful stuff!)
- Tips: How to get started with the lit community! (updated May 25th)
- And here are some FAQs, focusing on literature but covering a lot of dA basics.
Center of the Universe
Also known as CRLiterature. In case you've forgotten, we have a great team of literature Community Volunteers who keep tabs on the literature community and make a central place for us to congregate for news and awesome literature. They're good people, and don't let me hear anyone say different! I've added links to each of their Daily Deviation guidelines, just in case you don't have them.Steph's DD Guidelines Lisa's DD Guidelines Lili's DD Guidelines Maiden's DD Guidelines
ikazon can also take your suggestions, his guidelines are here!And don't forget the current stuffs from CRLiterature:
- May/June 2015 Literature News
- May DD Roundup
- Book Club: June: DOWN A DARK HALL and Mid-Month Check-In (also, the Schedule)
- Check out DA Lit: A Retrospective!
- All the Literature Educate! (Project Educate articles related to lit, all in one place.)
- What Can You Do For Us? <-- check out the things you can do to help out!
- #CRLiterature Chatroom Guidelines
- Please welcome LiliWrites and TheMaidenInBlack as our new CVs!
- Fan Fiction has expanded, with a new Fantasy Gallery!
- And check out Lili's Daily Deviation Suggestion Drive! (You could win 100 !)
NaNoWriMo (2015) by moi
I'm not above a little self-promotion, but this list is for those of you who've missed one or more of the journals I posted with links to useful NaNo material. I'm a novelist, so most of my resources and planning blogs are about writing fiction, but these resources are good for anyone planning to turn any month into a flurry of literary activity! I'm going to leave these here because it seems like every few months there's something or other WriMo. July, November, certainly. I don't even know them all, but I want to keep these resources available to everyone who writes. (Posted in April 2015.)
- [Yet] Another NaNoWriMo - with links for planning ahead
- NaNo Building Blocks - some guidelines to keep in mind, especially "Don't Panic"
- NaNo Resources - a whole lot of links to places to write, progress trackers, and other prep resources
Daily Literature Recognition by the DailyLitRecognition team
Daily Literature Recognition is a group that is dedicated to bringing literature to the forefront of the deviantART community. We attempt to accomplish this by daily featuring Literature artists from around the community that deserve the recognition, but are not getting it. Each day we will feature 5 deviations from the Literature categories in a News Article. In order to support the artists that we feature, we ask that you fave the news article as well as check out the individual pieces. We understand that each day you may not be able to check out each and every one of the pieces. We just ask that you make an attempt to help support the growing Literature community and these artists.
The group has a number of administrators to whom you can send suggestions, that list is posted on the LitRecognition front page.
- for June 26th, featuring EmaciatedandEpitaphs, scheherazades, and laurotica
- for June 23rd, featuring hypermagical, thousand-streams, Weaponised, and Blaetterklingen
- for June 22nd, featuring MutePoetess, amy-derfer, drowsydoe, and ohellohara
- for June 15th, featuring MusicInducedDaydream, AnAshBlackSword, saiun, and 19seconds
- for June 12th, featuring AyeAye12, siedhr, Aart-ish, and Floricific
- for June 9th, featuring DSteffi, ohsostarryeyed, Shuriken95, and straygod
- for June 8th, featuring 50ftBuddha, jedijellyfish, SakuraForest, and DiceCube5
Daily Bread Cafe by C-A-Harland and team
The DailyBreadCafe is a small attempt at building a helping branch to the ever growing community on dA. Not only is this publication created for you, but also to help spread the love to everyone on dA. This group is not specifically focused on literature, but they do have literary features from time to time, which I'll feature here. They've taken over an old account of someone else's, so don't get too confused if you look back in the journal history and find unrelated entries. I imagine they're working to get everything fixed to their satisfaction.
Love dA Lit by HugQueen
There's no way I can post all of the Love dA Lit articles because she's been at it for years. Every Sunday this article will aim to promote volunteer opportunities, various resources, prompts, challenges, and workshops, as well as highlighting various contests, and spotlighting a specific group or project for two weeks. This is by no means a complete list of all the literature going-ons, merely a tool to help you get involved and stay informed.
- Issue 211 (28 June)
- Issue 210 (21 June)
- Issue 209 (14 June)
- Issue 208 (7 June)
- Issue 207 (31 May)
- Issue 206 (24 May)
- Love dA Lit Loves You: Volume 12 (26 May)
Who's Who on dA by Medoriko
As Medoriko puts it: "It will be feature articles spotlighting some lesser known dA writers. Hopefully, this will serve to get some views/attention their way. Or, at the very least, make their day for a bit." Sounds good to me!
- Issue 9 (13 May): featuring calliopen, scheherazades, LadyBitterblue, fadedworlds, and ilyilaice.
- Issue 8 (4 May): featuring Grimful-Inquisitions, FridgePoetProject, RogueMudblood, and sairey.
- Issue 7 (3 April): featuring TheBakerandWriter, ParalyticProcess, Nerohal, IvoryLascivire, and GhostOfTheEmptyGrave.
- Issue 6 (16 March): featuring ReasonBear, scheherazades, carmen16, InkyStardust, and Cynical-Entity.
- Issue 5 (6 March): featuring successwithhonor, comatose-comet, SkyScorcher, themaninroomfive, and PaintedSunshine.
- Issue 4 (22 February): featuring LaBruyere, EmmieBee, omnibusjeremius, TheShanar, and oviedomedina.
- Issue 3 (13 February): featuring scripted-silence, Chronokinetic-socks, imperfect-parachute, Entitaria, and themaninroomfive.
- Issue 2 (30 January): featuring Toetag001, Amarantheans, Jchrispole, sleepysheepdog, crystallized-skies, Omarius99, xXxRising-AngelxXx, weirdnessandideas, Diluculi, and trembling-knees.
- Issue 1 (13 January): featuring antonfrost, nawkaman, Loveislightblue, thesquareroot, LadyBitterblue, calliopen, Serendiipitii, scheherazades, EveNightsong, and Flicher.
Community Participation: Be A Critic!
One of our former CVs, inknalcohol, has brought back the wildly popular Be A Critic series, located at its own group, BeACritic. The challenge is to pick one of the pieces that were featured, give it constructive critique, and then leave a comment on the journal with a link to your critique. These have deadlines, so if you want to participate in the challenge, you have to do it on time. But the features are good forever.
Because Grim has the group to keep track of old articles, I'm only going to feature the current article here. This is merely a space-saving measure, in no way do I love GrimFace242 any less than the others.
Ladies of Lit by LadyLincoln
This article is a monthly assortment of literature features from a selection of female deviants here on deviantART, all of them suggested by you. There's also a variety of other things of interest, including a deviant spotlight, upcoming events, a selection of other interesting Literature news links, and a "meet our contributors" section.
Because LadyLincoln keeps a running list of features (The Ladies of Lit: Listing of Lovelies), I'm only going to feature the current article here. This is merely a space-saving measure, in no way do I love LadyLincoln any less than the others.
Adjusting the Antennae by chromeantennae
A series of monthly interviews with inspiring people in the literature community, including digging into the various things each member does around the site, whether it be groups, features, or general helpfulness, as well as inspirations on and off site, deviants they think deserve a shout out, and their own galleries. (Also: Episode Archive)
League of Lit Groups by HugQueen
Like groups? Want to join a group's admin team? Well this article is for you! Posted once a month (on the fourth Tuesday?) this article will revisit one past group spotlight from Love dA Lit and one literature group who is in need of admins to help with their various group activities.
Assist and Admin by HugQueen
Ever thought about creating your own Literature group? STOP RIGHT THERE. You may not need to! There could already be a group that is doing the EXACT thing you want to do. Before you touch that 'Create a Group' button, check here to see if you can be a part of an admin team. You have the added benefit of already having a team around you. How cool is that?! Posted monthly and kept as up-to-date as possible.
30 Writers You Should Discover by LadyLincoln
An assortment every couple of months featuring various authors on deviantART who are well worth getting to know. All of their respective galleries are packed full of tremendous deviations that the author enjoys and hopes that you will too. If you have suggestions, you can note her (one suggestion per note please).
- Volume XXVII (15 June)
tWR's Interviews Series (theWrittenRevolution)
Together with their Mentorship Project, they'll be releasing a series of interviews with experienced writers and members of our community. They will all have a different focus, according to the parts of the Project they are paired with.
- 'On Writing', with silvernium, HugQueen, inknalcohol, SadisticIceCream, SRSmith, chromeantennae, PinkyMcCoversong, and SingingFlames.
- 'Prose and Poetry Basics', with Carmalain7, Vigilo, Jade-Pandora, and betwixtthepages answering questions about poetry, and illuminara, LiliWrites, and neurotype answering about prose.
- 'To Rhyme or Not To Rhyme?', with kiwi-damnation, williamszm, Nichrysalis, and Jade-Pandora.
- 'Description and Vocabulary', with julietcaesar, xlntwtch, and VFreie, and some comments by illuminara, LiliWrites, and neurotype.
- 'Characters, Imagery and Metaphors', with SilverInkblot, BeccaJS, and DrippingWords discussing imagery and metaphors for poetry, and SadisticIceCream, and LadyLincoln, with some added comments from julietcaesar, illuminara, neurotype, and LiliWrites on character building for prose.
- 'Vocabulary, Narrative Voice and POV', interviewing Carmalain7 and Vigilo, with williamszm, kiwi-damnation, and Jade-Pandora on vocab-building for poetry, and raspil and Memnalar on narrative voice and point of view for prose.
- 'Rhetoric Figures in Poetry', with spoems, LaBruyere, and Vigilo.
- 'Plot Building', with ML-Larson, PennedinWhite, ThornyEnglishRose on plot building with added wisdom from raspil, LadyLincoln, julietcaesar, neurotype, illuminara, and LiliWrites.
- 'Poetic Prose', with SilverInkblot, Jade-Pandora, kiwi-damnation, spoems, illuminara, LiliWrites, neurotype, julietcaesar, LadyLincoln, raspil, and last but not least, TheMaidenInBlack.
- 'Fixed Form Poetry', with Parsat, Vigilo, HaveTales-WillTell, williamszm, and kiwi-damnation.
- 'Chapter or Standalone Prose?', with doughboycafe, ThornyEnglishRose, LadyLincoln, and raspil.
- 'On Brevity', with comments via forum from all sorts of people!
- 'What's Your Favorite Genre?', with Memnalar, kiwi-damnation, williamszm, HaveTales-WillTell, Parsat, illuminara, LiliWrites, mirz333, Jade-Pandora, and RetroZombie.
- 'Eastern Poetry', with Jade-Pandora and RetroZombie.
WritersInk Editorials (WritersInk)
The group staff are putting together some useful resources that are worth checking out if you're looking for guidance.
- Daily Deviations - An Introduction by monstroooo
- Comments and Commenting by Sleyf
- Worldbuilding and Your Writing by inknalcohol
- Planet Building by C-A-Harland
Community Participation: Distinction!
I spotted a game called 'Distinction' announced by SilverInkblot, and I think you all should check it out! What is Distinction and how do you play? (tl;dr - you're reading short pieces and guessing who wrote it based on literary sleuthing, which is so cool! ) You'll have to go watch her StyleOverSubstance account, there's no way I'm going to be able to keep up with all the featured pieces with names of potential authors and all of it.
More to Come, but you can Contact Me
Since I obviously have failed to find all the articles from the literature community, please note me! I want the outstanding articles from the literature community about the literature community for the wider community. I'm not currently interested in personal choice features (there are simply too many to include) or group-centric news, but you're welcome to try me. Worst I can say is no. (Fair warning, the longer this article gets, the pickier I'm gonna be.)